Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Smart Summer Challenge - "I Like Myself" Collage

smart summer button '11


We are participating in the Smart Summer Challenge, a six week adventure where we try and sneak in learning into our summer.  You can get more information (and TONS of ideas) about this challenge over at Teach Mama, Pink and Green Mama, or Naturally Educational. 

I took an idea from the Smart Summer Challenge calendar, which was to make a "me" collage or diorama.  Recently, Hadley has requested the story I Like Myself  by Karen Beaumont, a delightful story about a little girl shouting about the glorious creation that is HER.  She says confidently that no matter WHAT she looks like she will ALWAYS like herself.  I love this story and am sensitive to make sure this idea is drilled into my girls' heads as they grow older. 

I thought that this book would be a good introduction to a "me" collage, so Hadley and I read it first and then got out the scissors, magazines, and glue.

What I hoped to do with this project, was to get Hadley to start thinking about the kinds of things she is interested in.  I asked her what she thought I would put on my collage if I were making one for myself. 

"Uhhhh, I don't know."

"Well, what are some things that I like?"

"Uhhhh, I'm not sure."

"What's the first thing I have to have in the morning?"

"Oooo! Oooo!  WATER!"

I was going for coffee, and we got there eventually.  I told her that if I were to find a picture of a coffee mug, I'd cut it out and glue it on my collage.  So Hadley looked for a lot of pink things because that's her favorite color.  She also cut out animals and flowers.  It was fun for me to see what kinds of things she would pick, and I'm glad I have a little "print" of what she was interested in during June of 2011.

While she was cutting out pictures, I asked her what were some things she liked about herself.  Here are some things that she said:

"I like about myself that I like pink."

"I like that I like chocolate milk."

"I am good at running." (her Uncle Geoff would be proud.)

"I like that I can write my name.  And do color by numbers."

And my favorite, "I liked it when we started this project."


We also took some time to "map" ourselves using chalk outside.  I traced the girls' bodies with chalk, and they filled in what they were wearing using chalk.
Hadley:
Harper (I did the skirt):
Harper wanted to do Bear, too:

What would we do without Bear?  He's been a dear friend to both the girls.  I think it's appropriate to add him to our collages and "me maps" since he does represent a HUGE part of these girls' lives.  I'm happy to have him.

4 comments:

  1. It is such a lovely idea to have a "me collage", it makes a beautiful keepsake and something you can all look back on in years to come.

    We have not tried shadow drawing with chalk, but I think this is something my children would enjoy. Cute to see Bear included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! You did not miss the linky, it started this morning so I added you to our linky party today - hope you don't mind! -ML

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. when we did this for my sons school I did not feel that we had enough magazines with appropriate things for him to cut out, so I gave him my digital camera and let him take photos of all the things important to him. I love some of the subjects. (piles of lego's, cars etc.) and the perspective that the photos were taken. SOme were blurry because he was moving along so quickly and so excited. Anyway I then printed them out (in color) on regular paper so he could cut them out and paste them on his all about me poster. It came out great and as you say it is a lovely snapshot for this moment of time and what interests him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "me" collage and the chalk coloring are great ideas. I'll have to remember them the next time I get to be with my grandkids. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete